Thursday 21 January 2010

Sister Felicia



Sister Felicia was a great blessing for me when my mother placed me in Holy Rosary so she could teach and support my brother and me.

I was only three in 1930, but fifty years later I made a surprise visit to her in Grand Rapids. When she learned who I was, she exclaimed, "PAT HAZARD! YOU'RE THE BEST STUDENT I EVER HAD!"

Then she went out into the corridor and exulted. "PAT HAZARD HAS COME TO VISIT ME!"

You can imagine how I relished that proudest day of my life.

*
Here is her obituary.

Entered eternal life on September 11, 1986 at the age of 90 after 71 years of religious life

Mass of Christian Burial Monday, September 15, 1986 at 4:15 p.m.
in Dominican Chapel/Marywood

Vigil Service: Sunday, 7:00 p.m.
Dominican Chapel/Marywood

We commend Sister Felicia to your prayers.

Ninety years of life ended for Sister Felicia Bayer on Thursday, September 11.

It was the eve of her entrance anniversary. On September 12, 1914 she left her home to become a Dominican Sister. At 10:45 on Thursday night she left her earthly home for an eternal one with her God.

Mary Catherine Bayer was born on March 29, 1896, the daughter of Henry and Margaret Bayer of St. Alphonsus Parish in Grand Rapids. The joy at her birth was short-lived. From her autobiography we learn: "When God bestowed the light of day upon me, He demanded my mother's soul. In retrospect I see that from the beginning of my life suffering was present. I believe it was my special gift from God."

She and her brother Henry were cared for by an aunt until Mr. Bayer remarried a woman Sister Felicia described as "the dearest mother I ever knew". As the years went by the family grew; two brothers and two sisters joined Mary and Henry. Life was good. But when the future Sister Felicia reached her teens a hardship came to the Bayer household. To use Sister's own words: "God demanded a great sacrifice. He took my dear father and it became necessary for me to assist in supporting the family."

As her family responsibilities increased she experienced "an inward calling". Suffering and sacrifice had drawn her closer to her Savior, strengthening her faith. The Dominican Sisters had been her teachers, her friends and her inspiration during her years of schooling at St. Alphonsus. She believed the inward calling was to a life with them. Knowing of her intentions the family did not stand in her way. Thus in the fall of 1914 she left home for the Dominican Motherhouse on Leonard Street which was a very familiar place in a very familiar neighborhood.

On Reception Day, April 6, 1915, Mary Catherine Bayer was given the name Sister Felicia of St. Dominic. Hers was the last group to be received into the congregation during Mother Aquinata's lifetime. Mother died less than a month following the ceremony.

At the completion of her novitiate, Sister Felicia was assigned to Byron Center where she taught school music and played the organ in the parish church. During this time the Lord again asked a sacrifice of her. She received word that her mother was terminally ill. At her death a short while later, Sister, ever solicitous for the well-being of her brothers and sisters, thought she would have to return home. Of this particular trial she wrote:
"It was a suffering and a genuine test. Amid my anguish I turned to God in prayer and without any help from me He cared for them! They all became happily situated in life and I was able to remain a Dominican."

She did not, however, remain a music teacher. While never losing her love for music, Sister chose to teach "the little ones" and the primary grades became her specialty. Approximately forty of her years in the ministry of education were divided between Holy Rosary Academy, Bay City and Marywood Academy, Grand Rapids. Her classroom bespoke a teacher who cared for and loved her students, and the students immediately responded to the love and care. In addition to the basics Sister Felicia taught the fine arts. Song and dance and "primary dramatics" had a place in the daily schedule. Many of Sister's now grown-up students must remember the countless times for countless audiences they recreated the universe in first grade fashion dramatizing the story of creation with great skill.

This diligent educator's efforts were neither unappreciated nor unnoticed by the parents of those she taught. A letter Sister's principal received from a grateful family attests to this: "....we have been impressed by the remarkable person of Sister Felicia. She is held in high esteem by us and by the parents of first graders whom we have met. Because of Sister's understanding of children and education our son has a love for his God, respects and appreciates many facets of the world around him and is ready educationally to meet next year. Sister's patience is limitless and her thoroughness in her work has been laudatory. We want you to know of our gratitude."

Sister Felicia's creative and generous spirit was not limited to her own classroom and students. Despite the fact that she suffered from poor health much of her life she did, nevertheless, extend herself to others. Decorations she designed for special seasons were duplicated for other teachers.

Crocheting and knitting for others was a long-standing hobby. During her years on the Marywood Academy faculty she often gave assistance to Sister Reparata Gauthier whose convent room was next to hers. Because this was so Sister had frequent conversations with Sister Reparata, reverencing her words as spiritual riches, a blessing from the God who was her strength and consolation.

The God who was Sister Felicia's strength during her years of active ministry was also her strength when those years were completed. After three years tutoring children at St. Andrew's School, Sister retired to the House of Studies. She had been a teacher for 56 years, and did, indeed, miss the classroom environment, but she welcomed the "quieter life" and enjoyed the "contemplative leisure" the House of Studies afforded her. In 1979 she moved to Aquinata Hall. A diabetic condition weakened her considerably and a new suffering was limited activity. It was a special hardship for one whose memories were of busy school years, energetic "little people", creative dramatics, giggling first-graders, dancing feet, a gracious God and a loving Dominican community.

Our memories of Sister Felicia stay with us while hers went with her into eternity where with all the faithful she is surely saying: "How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, our God." We rejoice that new life in God's presence is hers!

Sister Felicia is survived by two brothers: William (Ellen) Bayer of Ft.Meyers Beach, FL and Lawrence (Anne) Bayer of New Era, MI.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr Hazard,
Sister Falicia was my Kindergarden teacher at HRA in Bay City in 9954. She also taught my father. She was the best teacher I ever had. I'm curious to know what years you attended HRA. My sisters attended St Boniface and St. Mary HS.

My last name is Kirchman. Do you remember Kirchman Bros? It was a commercial/institutional kitchen supplier.
I attended K-4th at HRA, until my family moved here to Central California (Fresno) in 1959. My uncle Frank continued the business there, as my dad sold his part of Kirchman Bros. after his father I.J. passed. When Frank passed on his son, my cousin, Peter took over the business.

My dad's brother was Bernard, a Catholic priest who had a Parish in Pinconning for many years. He passed in '94 I think it was. The Kirchman brothers (including my father) and cousins all attended Notre Dame in the 30s.

I was only 10 when we left Bay City but for some reason it was a hard place for me to leave behind.
Remember the "toboggon" structure that was built every winter for sledding in the HRA playground?
If you'd care to share some Bay City memories my email address is jkir@comcast.net

Hope to hear from you. Thank you for posting about Sister Felicia.
John