Saturday 26 March 2011

Oprah

On The Gospel of an Icon: Spirituality, mediation, consumption

Alas, the "moderator" (censor) never approved of my response! So it wasn't printed. It began "Oprah's genius is being congenial." Basically, I chided him for obscurantist neologisms like "mediatization" and quoted two lines of Whitman as being religious texts I preferred to his.

And the narrowest hinge in my hand puts to scorn all machinery
And a mouse is miracle enough to stagger sextillions of infidels. My theology! Walt.

In a more generously poetical spirit, I give you a Berryman quatrain that echoes Walt at his best:

Master of beauty, craftsman of the snowflake,
inimitable contriver,
endower of Earth so gorgeous & different from the boring Moon,
thank you for such as it is my gift.

No comments: