Thursday, 13 January 2011

Forbidden fruit

Re: ”My fantasy life among the nuns,” by Thom Nickels—

Dear Tom, I envy your “catholic” ecumenical contact with so many different orders of nuns. Alas, I was stuck with German Dominicans for the ten years it took for me to graduate to a minor seminary in Detroit.

I entered the care of Sister Felicia at age three, since my father had eloped with his secretary to Las Vegas. Fifty years later I went to their Mother House in Grand Rapids to see if she were still alive. When I told her who I was, she exclaimed, “Pat Hazard! You were the best student I ever had!” Sister Felicia, you were the best Dominican I never “had.”

And, Tom, if I’ve not forgotten the Greek I learned in the minor seminary, it’s spelled Daedalus, meaning “cunning worker,” who discovering the skeleton of a fish at the seashore invented the saw.

Patrick D. Hazard
Weimar, Germany
December 8, 2010

Editor’s comment: You’re both correct. Nickels was referring to James Joyce’s fictitious alter ego, whose name was spelled Dedalus.

No comments: