Friday 10 April 2009

A Letter to Ellen Goodman

Dear Ms. Goodman, I always like your stuff, but the zaniness of naming gig was absolutely marvelous. I'm writing a book on the American Dream,"Eden as Eldorado: Awakening from the American Dream", which like All Gall is divided into three parts, viz.:

The Language of Adam, in which I explore the American idiolect, which will come to a crashing bore of a sequence with your piece on HyperSelling. I claim the "free 'n' easy" studied American casual has been mendacious about real egalitarianism all along.

The Culture of Eve has as its epigraph, Mark Twain's shrewd observation that the trouble with American architecture is that it has Queen Anne fronts and Mary Ann behinds.

The Community of Cain. I argue that if you lie with your language and fake with your culture, you create a community of Cain, where violence tries to close the gap between our Super Ego which says we're already in Eden and our Id which is Eldorado all the way.

So thanks for giving me such a finale!

No comments: